- One of the main challenges of digital out of home aka public video is awareness with creative agencies. Even if advertisers are willing to include DooH in their campaign, creative agencies are often not able to leverage all the technical options available with DooH. One trending media platform could raise awareness also for public video of moving images on public screens: YouTube.
The google video service is hugely popular with the youngest generation of media consumers. So the current hype around YouTube is mainly driven by two factors:
- For advertisers YouTube is a very attractive and cost effective platform. Production costs of You Tube films are a fraction of TV commercials (on average only 1/5) and gaining visibility doesn’t cost a single cent. Whereas TV stations and other media charge premium rates for advertising placements.
- Target Group: The attractive target group of 12 years and older are consuming media very different to their peers one or two generations ago. For them it’s not linear television anymore, but on demand platforms like Netflix or YouTube. First notable victim of this trend has been music television – YouTube and Co killed the video star. At least linear broadcaster like MTV have lost their dominating role.
But does it mean for digital signage or DooH? This is nothing but good news for digital out of home (DooH) aka public video. It all pays into the main benefits of displays in the public space:
- Big pictures on displays are one of the few media which can’t be turned off or fast forwarded. Reaching out with digital messages to consumers on the move is mainly possible on mobile (small screen) or with DooH (big picture).
- Creatives: Even YouTube films need to be adapted to the silence and different reception environment of DooH, but this is much easier and cheaper than adapting TV commercials or converting still images in complex film sequences.
- DooH brings the reach of mass media to a digital minded audience enabling advertisers to manage campaigns and playouts almost as individually as YouTube. Day parting or event triggered campaigns are state of the art and widely available in the DooH sphere.
- Programmatic Buying – being a fully digital and connected media enables DooH to be offered, purchased, managed and reported seamless with online video, online and mobile.
The YouTube boom will drive agency awareness for non-TV films. It will enable agencies to adapt existing campaigns with scale. This is all good news for DooH.
The effects of YouTube and other digital media platforms for digital out of Home and Public Video will be one of the leading topics at the 9th DSS Europe 2015 presented by OVAB on 10-11 September 2015. More details will be announced in the coming days.